How to remember the planets in order
There is something about the mystery and the vastness of the solar system that excites both children and adults alike.
Logically, the very first thing all children are required to learn about the solar system is the planets and their proper order.
Here are several tips parents and teachers can implement to help their kids remember the planets in proper order (excluding pluto — depending on whom you talk to).
Use planetary mnemonics
Planetary mnemonics is a phrase used to remember the order of the planets. This is a great learning tool for kids.
A sample planetary mnemonics looks like this: MVEMJSUN or My Very Energetic Mother Just Served Us Noodles.
When broken down: M — Mercury, V — Venus, E — Earth, M — Mars, J — Jupiter, S — Saturn, U — Uranus, N — Neptune.
Use visual stimuli
Most children learn well and commute things to memory faster by use of visual stimuli.
Here are a few examples:
- Planetary flashcards — flashcards are great educational and memory tools for kids. Economical and easy to use; planetary flashcards can be used daily until the child has commuted the planets and their order to memory.
- Planetary memory matching game — memory matching games do just what the name implies — boost the child’s memory. This excellent educational tool helps kids remember the planets in order. The game makes learning about the order of the planets fun and exciting.
- Planetary wall posters — strategically placed wall posters provide kids with visual reminders of the names of the planets as well as their order on a daily basis.
- Planetary tablemats — tablemats are excellent teaching tools for kids. They provide daily reminders at every meal time.
Music is another amazing teaching tool. Kids tend to commute things to memory much easier when music is involved.
You can purchase songs about the planets in teaching supply stores, on-line, or visit websites such as www.kidsknowit.com and listen to songs about the planet free of charge.
- How to teach homeschoolers about canyons
- How to read Tarot cards
- How to get free printable home school worksheets online
- How to find edible forest berries
- How to grow salt crystals
- How to teach homeschoolers about dinosaurs and their origins
- How to Seven Steps to the Scientific Method
- How to grade homeschool papers and courses