How to install a DSL filter on a phone
DSL (Digital Subscriber Line) is a data transport technology that allows you to access the Internet on your computer using a regular phone line, without interrupting normal phone service. DSL’s popularity has been largely eclipsed by cable and fiber optic connections, but many users still have a DSL connection.
In order to keep the DSL signal from disrupting your phone service, you’ll need to install DSL filters on any telephone that connects to the central phone line. You should receive several DSL filters when you sign up for DSL service; if not, you can purchase them online or from an electronics retailer. This guide will walk you through installing a DSL filter.
Unplug the phone
Follow the phone cord that runs from the phone itself to the phone jack in the wall. Disconnect the cord from the wall by pressing down on the tab at the top of the plug and gently pulling the connector out (but leave the other end of the cord plugged into the phone).
Attach the DSL filter to the wall jack
Plug the male end of the filter (with the plug that looks the same as your phone cord plug) into the wall jack that you disconnected the phone cord from.
Attach the filter to the phone cord
Plug the phone cord into the other end of the DSL filter. As you make each connection, you should hear an audible click as the plug snaps into place.
Make an outbound call with the phone to confirm that everything is plugged in correctly and the phone and line are both operational. Repeat this procedure for any other phones on the same DSL line.
- How to print a configuration page from an HP LaserJet P3015
- How to change the password for a Linksys Wireless-G router
- How to print a configuration report on a Sharp AR-M700U
- How to clean a laptop screen
- How to print a configuration page on an HP Color LaserJet CM1312 MFP
- How to wire a universal RJ-25 Phone Jack keystone connector
- How to print a configuration page on an HP LaserJet M1319f MFP
- How to print a supplies status page from an HP LaserJet M3035 MFP